While IoT devices are now ubiquitous, the fact remains that they transfer untold amounts of business and personal data. Every single connected IoT device is a data collector at some level. How can you secure your IoT network without delay?
OpenVPN Solutions for Secure IoT Communication
Create a secure, private network to protect the sensitive traffic communicated by your IoT devices with OpenVPN Access Server. Every business understands the need for making security a high priority. The affordability and scalability of OpenVPN Access Server gives businesses of all sizes the ability to launch a VPN server and provide security, encryption, and reliability.
- The VPN tunnel provides encryption and privacy to protect against eavesdropping and Internet attacks. With Access Server, you can isolate your IoT network from other sensitive business data, connections, and apps, as well as from the public Internet.
- Another essential security step is to check the identity of devices connecting to the network. You can set up user profiles with auto-login credentials for unattended IoT devices or the routers that are connected to those devices. These profiles provide an always-on VPN connection with mutual authentication through digital certificates.
- You can connect to Access Server with clients supported for pretty much any operating system, whether it’s by installing OpenVPN clients on devices, connecting them to OpenVPN-compatible routers, or even using the OpenVPN open source code community edition to create a customized client for your devices.
- Additionally, you can also choose to restrict device access by building a MAC address whitelist, which ensures unknown devices are blocked from trying to get on your network.
OpenVPN Cloud and the OpenVPN protocol are firewall-friendly and don’t require any changes to your internet equipment. You can create a separate private network for your IoT devices, or each group of IoT devices, with a router that connects to your network for Internet access.
- As an example, let’s say you have a network of security cameras that need to access the Internet and communicate with a monitoring server. When encrypted through OpenVPN Cloud, you protect all of the communication on this network from eavesdropping.
- During connection establishment with OpenVPN Cloud, the identities of your routers and devices used for IoT are verified through the use of digital certificates.
- OpenVPN Cloud is fully compatible with the OpenVPN Connect app and the open source community edition. Combined, our products support every major OS and offer the flexibility to customize a client for interoperability.
- You can choose a VPN region for your connector that is geographically closest to the IoT network, launch OpenVPN Connect as a system service, and set the Connect Auth authentication request to “no”, which allows for unattended operation and VPN connections, as shown in the diagram. Thus you have an always-on, completely private network, isolated from the public Internet.