How do I connect a VPN client device to OpenVPN Access Server?
This FAQ provides you with information on how to connect VPN clients to OpenVPN Access Server.
How to connect using the Client UI to download the app or a config file
OpenVPN Access Server hosts a Client UI that your users can use to download clients and configuration files that are specific to your VPN server.
- Open the Client UI in a web browser by entering the server IP address or its custom hostname using HTTPS.
- Note that the Admin Web UI is also accessible from the same IP address or custom hostname, but at the admin directory. For example, https:/220.127.116.11/admin.
- Your users must sign in with valid credentials. For information on setting up users, refer to Adding Users to OpenVPN Access Server.
- Once they are signed in to the Client UI, users can download either the OpenVPN Connect app for their platform, or a config file — both are pre-configured for accessing your organization’s Access Server. The OpenVPN Connect app is available for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
How to import a profile using the OpenVPN Connect app
If you don’t already have the OpenVPN Connect app installed, you can download a version for your operating system from our website for free: OpenVPN Connect | Our Official VPN Client.
After you have installed the OpenVPN Connect app, follow these steps:
- Click + to add a new connection.
- Enter your server URL (IP address or custom hostname) in HTTPS format, or alternatively, upload a config file.
- Enter your user credentials and click Import.
General compatibility guide
OpenVPN Access Server is compatible with the OpenVPN protocol — an open source standardized protocol. Therefore, most devices that support the OpenVPN protocol can connect to Access Server. However, due to the enormous flexibility of OpenVPN software, it is possible that certain configuration choices can block or disable some options on a client device, which can prevent a successful connection.
The operating systems that are supported by the official OpenVPN Connect app are Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. These operating systems are also supported by most open source and third-party commercial OpenVPN client programs and devices.
OpenVPN Access Server is compatible with most VPN clients that use the OpenVPN protocol. OpenVPN provides a free VPN client, OpenVPN Connect, to easily connect with your VPN server. Each implementation of Access Server also provides a Client UI, from which users can download pre-configured OpenVPN Connect apps and configuration files.