What Is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a form of malware that deliberately prevents access to files on a device by encrypting the files and demanding that a ransom be paid in order to have them decrypted.
There are several different kinds of ransomware:
– Crypto malware. This is the most common type of ransomware that encrypts files on the device in order to extort money.
– Lockers. This kind of ransomware infects operating systems to completely lock users out of their devices.
– Scareware. This is fake software that claims to have found issues on your computer and demands money to resolve the fake issue.
– Doxware. This type of malware threatens to publish your stolen information online if you don’t pay the ransom.
– Ransomware as a service (RaaS). This is where cybercriminals create ransomware and sell it to other people to use.
Stay up to date with our latest definitions as well as exclusive invites, helpful tips and other Business VPN related materials.