Troubleshooting problems with software licensing
This document helps you resolve subscription or fixed license issues, or you can submit a support ticket.
Determining the licensing method in use
First, determine the software licensing method on your Access Server so you can follow the correct procedure for activation and troubleshooting. Your Access Server uses one of the following:
- Subscription key: monthly or yearly subscription, starting from five connections.
- Fixed license key: purchased for one-five years, starting from ten connections.
- AWS tiered instance: only available on Amazon AWS, in sizes five, ten, 25, 50, 100, 250, and 500.
- Unlicensed: limited to two connections.
Refer to the following sections for the specifics of each licensing method.
A subscription key for OpenVPN Access Server has the following features:
- Long activation key.
- Works on Access Server 2.8.1 and newer.
- Can activate it multiple times.
- Can share its connections across multiple servers.
- Can change the connection number on the fly.
- Purchase monthly or yearly.
- Requires an internet connection.
Here’s an example of a subscription activation key:
To activate or troubleshoot the subscription licensing on your Access Server, refer to the troubleshooting guide for subscription licensing.
Fixed license key
A fixed license key for Access Server has the following features:
- Follows the format of four groups of four characters.
- Works on older Access Server versions.
- Can’t change the licensed amount after purchase and activation.
- Requires purchasing another license key to increase connections.
- Can’t activate on more than one server.
- Doesn’t require an internet connection (offline activation method available).
Here’s an example of a fixed license key:
To activate or troubleshoot the fixed license on your Access Server, refer to the troubleshooting guide for fixed license keys.
AWS tiered instance
An AWS tiered instance with Access Server has the following features:
- Only available on Amazon AWS.
- Select the instance with desired connections on the AWS Marketplace.
- Pre-licensed when launched.
- Number of licensed connections available immediately.
- Requires the instance has access to the internet.
- No activation keys; activation happens automatically online.
To troubleshoot licensing for an AWS tiered instance, refer to the troubleshooting guide for AWS tiered instance licensing.
Your Access Server is unlicensed when you haven’t activated any keys or there are problems with your software licensing. Unlicensed servers allow two concurrent connections.