Choose installation/deployment platform
The OpenVPN Access Server program is designed to be installed on a supported Linux operating system. The server must be installed on a Linux OS, but the clients can be Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android. At the moment we support the Linux operating systems Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and openSUSE on dedicated and virtual hardware as well as cloud based systems. To learn more about exactly which installation packages are available for these operating systems check the software packages download page on our main website. The installation package can be selected and downloaded there.
Aside from installation package files for the Linux operating system, we also have prepared images ready for deployment on Amazon AWS, and for Microsoft HyperV, and VMWare ESXi.
Most commonly OpenVPN Access Server is installed on the platforms listed below, but not strictly limited to these, in no particular order. You have to provide your own hardware, or hire the use of a server, or use a cloud service, basically any system that runs the Linux operating system, to then install and use the OpenVPN Access Server product. You will need to have root level access to the Linux operating system in order to install the product. Some of the options listed below are easier than others. For example on Amazon AWS or CloudSigma you can launch a prepared Linux OS + Access Server installation directly from their Marketplace or control panel. You then need only finish configuration to start using it. With other options you first need to setup hardware or have hardware already, and have a supported Linux operating system installed on it, before you can install the OpenVPN Access Server product.
- Installation on any system that runs a compatible Linux operating system. See installation on Linux OS.
- Amazon Web Services (Amazon AWS) for which we have a simple setup wizard to easily create a CloudFormation script that will be run on AWS and result in the creation of pre-configured Access Server. Our Amazon AWS launcher lets you launch an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS image with our OpenVPN Access Server already preinstalled directly inside our portal. Sign up to launch from the Access Server portal.
- Microsoft Azure for which we have a ready to launch instance on Microsoft Azure’s platform.
- Google Cloud Platform for which we have a ready to launch instance on Google Cloud Platform.
- A virtual machine with Linux OS on VMWare ESXi. See deploying appliance on ESXi.
- A virtual machine with Linux OS on Hyper-V in Microsoft Windows Server. See deploying appliance on Hyper-V.
- Dedicated hardware like a server in a data center or in an office with Linux OS.
- Other virtualization software like VMWare Fusion, VMWare Workstation, KVM, Virtualbox, Parallels, with a Linux OS.