Selecting internet exit points for User Groups, Networks and Hosts
When you want to tunnel the internet traffic from User Groups, Networks and Hosts, you need to set their Internet Access to Split Tunnel OFF (see, changing internet access configuration) and select one or more Networks that have been set up as Internet Gateways for the internet traffic to exit OpenVPN Cloud. You can do so by following the steps below:
- Navigate to the Internet Access page from the left navigation pane Access > Internet
- Select one of the three tabs: User Groups, Networks, and Hosts based on the entity whose internet exit network needs to be changed or set
- Click on the Edit (pencil) icon next to the entry that needs to be changed
- Select one or more networks that have been setup to act as an internet gateway from the Internet Gateway drop-down
- Click on the Save (checkmark) icon to save the configuration
Note that if more than one Network is chosen or if the chosen Network has multiple Connectors connecting to different Regions Smart Routing will still be used to route among the multiple Networks/Connectors chosen as Internet Gateways for specific User Groups/Network/Host. Smart Routing is how OpenVPN Cloud always optimizes the route to the internet based on the Region that is being used by the remote User/Network/Host and the Regions that connect the Network that serves as an Internet Gateway. For example, if one of your Networks configured as an Internet Gateway has one Connector using San Jose Region while the other uses Chicago, traffic from a remote worker connected to Los Angeles will be routed via San Jose and traffic from a remote worker connected to Ashburn, VA will be routed via Chicago. The routing logic is not just based on geographic proximity but takes network characteristics into account.