OpenVPN Connect for Windows change log
Release notes for 3.3.6 (2752)
Release date: 22 March 2022
- OpenSSL updated to 1.1.1n (to address CVE-2022-0778)
- Minor change for Web Authentication in a system browser
Release notes for 3.3.5 (2717)
Release date: 9 March 2022
- Added import using Web Authentication in system browser
- Added reporting of UUID device identifier as UV_UUID parameter
Release notes for 3.3.4 (2600)
Release date: 16 December 2021
- Resolved a bug when importing OpenVPN Cloud profiles
Release notes for 3.3.3 (2562)
Release date: 17 November 2021
- Changed Web Auth flow to use external browser for authentication
Release notes for 3.3.2 (2475)
Release date: 7 October 2021
Release notes for 3.3.1 (2222)
Release date: 23 June 2021
- Resolved a security issue related to OpenSSL configuration (CVE-2021-3613) reported by Xavier Danest
Release notes for 3.3.0 (2171)
Release date: 3 June 2021
- Updated OpenVPN 3 library to 3.6.2 version.
- Added captive portal detection: OpenVPN Connect notifies the user when a device is connected to a network with a captive portal enabled. This functionality is enabled by default and can be managed on the Settings screen in the app.
- Added network loss detection: the VPN connection goes to a “pause” state when a network connection is lost, and automatically resumes the VPN session when the network is up.
- Added command line interface. Refer to Command Line functionality for OpenVPN Connect.
- Changes to software update functionality:
- Added the ability to change the setting of the frequency of software update checks.
- Added update checks frequency management by the admin using the directive to the profile: 0 is never; 1 is every day; 7 is once a week; and 30 is monthly. When a profile with this directive is bundled into the app, the app setting changes automatically.
- When a new version of the application is available, it becomes visible in the main menu of the app.
- Added release notes to notification of application updates.
- Added support for PKCS11 hardware tokens. Refer to Support of #PKCS11 physical tokens for OpenVPN Connect.
- Replaced reconnect on reboot setting with launch options. A user can choose multiple options: startup application after OS reboot, connect with the latest connected profile, or connect only if a connection was active during the reboot (previously, behavior of “Reconnect on Reboot” setting).
- Added external certificates on Windows 7: OpenVPN Connect supports importing and assigning an external PKCS12 identity to a profile for connection in Windows 7.
- Added an Advanced Settings section. Settings that can break connectivity are hidden in the Advanced Settings section on the Settings screen.
- Added colorful tray icons. The OpenVPN Connect tray icon with a color indication of connection state can be enabled on the Settings screen (default behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 8).
- Removed the "force AES-CBC cipher" legacy compatibility option.
- Various bug fixes and UX improvements.
Release date: 25 February 2021
- Added support for deep linking and web authentication using system web browser
- Removed optional wintun driver support
Release date: 30 October 2020
- Minor changes for Web Auth flow
- Added reporting UV_APP_VER values to the VPN server
- Implemented a new way of profile bundling (distribution of MSI and profile as separate files)
- Fixed an issue where an OpenVPN server could not be reached if it was not reachable through the default gateway
- Fixed an issue where a large amount of routes pushed to the VPN client would cause the client to fail
- Fixed issues with the display of the application version
Release date: 26 August, 2020
- Added reporting UV_ASCLI_VER and UV_PLAT_REL values to the VPN server.
- Fixed not prompting user for certificate approval under certain conditions.
- Updated Wintun driver to v0.8.1 that contains a patch for a driver update issue.
- Added installer routine that ensures presence of a particular Windows hotfix on Windows 7 machines (KB2921916).
Release date: 13 July, 2020
- This is now a stable release and no longer considered beta software.
- As part of the transition from Mbed TLS to OpenSSL the list of negotiable TLS cipher suites no longer includes weak cipher suites that lack forward secrecy support (DH/ECDH)
- Switchover from Mbed TLS library to OpenSSL library
- Support of TLS 1.3 version
- Support signing with RSA-PSS signatures during TLS handshake
- Update of OpenVPN3 library to OpenVPN core 3.5.6 version
- Optional WinTun driver is available during installation
- Implemented possibility to run VPN connection as system service
- Improved stability and performance
- Fixed a failure of installation process on some operating systems with non-English localization
- Implemented a fix for a security issue related to the location of installation files (CVE-2020-9442)
- New profile import flow with WebAuth support
- Added EULA license during installation
- Added .ovpn file association
- Added possibility to connect without external certificate when the client certificate is not required
- Fixed connection with DUO authentication service
- Fixed connection via server-locked profile with 2FA
- Fixed proxy basic authentication
- Fixed issue with long client-side scripts
- Fixed issue with unquoted path privilege escalation reported by Yogesh Prasad (CVE-2014-5455)
- New unified UI with 2 color scheme options
- Dropped support of MD5 algorithm
- Disabled tunnel compression by default (could be enabled back in the app settings)
- Ability to add proxies for connection from within the app
- Ability to manage external certificates directly from within the app (except in Windows 7 for the moment)
- Separate screen with extended statistics of connection session
- Log File with options to pause/resume, clear and save logs for sharing
- Plenty of other settings like reconnect on reboot, seamless tunnel, IP/TLS versions etc.
- Ability to create connect and disconnect shortcuts.