OpenVPN is seeking a Director of Public Relations to oversee day-to-day account activities, provide strategic direction and support business development efforts. In this role, the qualified individual will work closely with the VP of Marketing & PR, Public Relations Manager and Content Marketing team to develop and produce a compelling and authentic brand voice in addition to strategic PR campaigns.
The candidate must have exceptional organizational and communication skills with a strong understanding of an agency environment and workflow. Areas of work may include: branding, research/strategy, strategic communications, marketing, public relations, campaign development, messaging, crisis management, event management, project management, and business development cultivation.
- Oversee all aspects of PR agency workflow
- Provide strategic direction to PR agency
- Provide internal/external project management
- Develop and execute PR and strategic communications plans
- Research and develop creative story lines and pitches for media/PR content creation
- Remain current on industry trends and technology
- Represent the team as the primary contact to the local/national media and community influencers as well as serving as a spokesperson for select issues
- Develop, implement and oversee strategic communication plans for all team announcements, events and initiatives
- Identify, cultivate and maintain long-lasting relationships with local, regional and national media representatives and influencers to enhance team and league image and initiatives.
- Assist with the development and execution of crisis communication plans for organization.
- Coordinate, manage and supervise press conferences for company announcements, both on a scheduled basis and for major developments.
- Write, distribute, and pitch all news releases and media communication
- Assist team executives with public speaking engagements, presentations, and preparation of articles for publication, presentation or public display
- Continuously monitor and analyze media coverage
- Effectively work with other departments in the organization to coordinate publicity strategy and messaging
- Identify and manage outside resources on communication issues related to organizational publicity
- Experience with and/or comprehensive understanding of all facets of brand development, public relations, business development, and marketing a plus
- Clear understanding of agency environment and management
- Attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to think critically and strategically to create campaigns, messaging, and communications strategies
- Ability to articulate position professionally, be comfortable managing projects and interfacing with OpenVPN team to facilitate interviews etc.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and effectively transition between projects
- Strong writing, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Thorough understanding and proven track record of successful PR and marketing communications strategies and tactics (Traditional and Digital)
- Outgoing, articulate and professional personality with the ability to network on behalf of OpenVPN to garner new PR opportunities
- Bachelor's degree from a four year college or university and 6-8+ years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- PR or Advertising Agency experience preferred
- Former experience doing PR for a tech company with a SaaS model preferable
- Enjoy the laptop lifestyle; work in the office or from a coffee shop
- Flexible hours and schedule
- Paid Time Off (including all major U.S. holidays)
- Interact with the team online