While this HOWTO will guide you in setting up a scalable client/server VPN using an X509 PKI (public key infrastruction using certificates and private keys), this might be overkill if you are only looking for a simple VPN setup with a server that can handle a single client.
If you would like to get a VPN running quickly with minimal configuration, you might check out the Static Key Mini-HOWTO.
Static Key advantages
- Simple Setup
- No X509 PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) to maintain
Static Key disadvantages
- Limited scalability — one client, one server
- Lack of perfect forward secrecy — key compromise results in total disclosure of previous sessions
- Secret key must exist in plaintext form on each VPN peer
- Secret key must be exchanged using a pre-existing secure channel