Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?
  • From: Perfect Privacy <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:32:49 +0100

Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 10.02.2008 um 06:37 schrieb Perfect Privacy:
>
>> What I would like to achieve is that I "randomly" assign any of my 11
>> external IPs to him, and that not always only the "main IP" is used.
>>
>> This is maybe not directly a problem that concerns OpenVPN but more a
>> network question.
>
> It has virtually nothing to do with OpenVPN, but with your router/NAT
> gateway that provides the translation between your private addresses
> (those that OpenVPN assigns) and any public addresses you might have
> available.
>
> Most NAT products use the first IP address assigned to the public
> interface for the public address to translate to, and ignore any others
> that might be assigned to it.

Thank you for the reply.

Is there any possibility to change this fact, e.g.

- assigning a different IP address to the public interface for the
public address to translate to (I'm sure that's achievable and would
already be progress but how exactly on CentOS?), so that he doesn't get
216.xx.xx.164 all the time but e.g. 216.xx.xx.170, or

- that's what I would like to achieve finally, assigning "randomly" or
"arbitrarily" or "sequentially" any of my 11 public IPs to a user that
connects for example to OpenVPN? So that he doesn't always get the same
"first" or "primary" external IP address assigned to the public
interface but any of the 11 available addresses?

Kind regards and thanks for any help you might be able to provide.