Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?
  • From: Stefan Bethke <stb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:31:06 +0100

Am 10.02.2008 um 06:37 schrieb Perfect Privacy:

> What I would like to achieve is that I "randomly" assign any of my 11
> external IPs to him, and that not always only the "main IP" is used.
>
> This is maybe not directly a problem that concerns OpenVPN but more a
> network question.

It has virtually nothing to do with OpenVPN, but with your router/NAT
gateway that provides the translation between your private addresses
(those that OpenVPN assigns) and any public addresses you might have
available.

Most NAT products use the first IP address assigned to the public
interface for the public address to translate to, and ignore any
others that might be assigned to it.

The fact that applications running on your host behave similarly is
principally the same, but technically a coincidence.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb@xxxxxxxxxx>   Fon +49 170 346 0140