Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?
  • From: Willy Offermans <Willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:51:36 +0100

Hello Admin@Perfect Privacy and OpenVPN friends,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:37:18AM +0100, Perfect Privacy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a dedicated server with 11 external IPs. On this server, we also
> have an OpenVPN server installed. We have several hundreds of OpenVPN
> users, all of which use the same client certificate (--duplicate-cn). We
> also use PAM password authentification. My users are not all connected
> at the same time of course, but maybe one dozen to a couple of dozens of
> users at the same time, depending on the time of the day.
>
> What now happens if an OpenVPN client connects to the OpenVPN server is
> that the server will assign its "main IP" to him. If he goes to
> http://www.whatismyip.com/ he will always see the same "main IP" of my
> server, while the other IPs are actually never used.
>
> What I would like to achieve is that I "randomly" assign any of my 11
> external IPs to him, and that not always only the "main IP" is used.
>
> This is maybe not directly a problem that concerns OpenVPN but more a
> network question.  I also have Squid installed, for example, and have
> the same problem there. The user always gets the same external "main IP"
> of my server, while the others remain unused. I, however, would like to
> assign "randomly" any of my 11 external IPs to him.
>
> Does anybody know how this is achieved?

I have to admit that I have serious problems to understand what exactly
you want to achieve. For example, I don't know what you mean with ``11
external IPs''. How is an external IP defined? I guess it would help if
you specify those IP's. Probably you mean an IP not in the reserved
groups like 10., 192., etc. Neither did I ever hear about a ``main IP''.
What is a main IP?

However assigning IP's does ring a bell for me: DHCP server is capable
of doing exactly this kind of a job. Randomly assigning is again a
little bit harder, but maybe you can find a trick like randomly changing
MAC addresses or something like that. I really don't know. At the end I
ask myself, why is it a problem of having the same IP over and over
again? Maybe you can give the remaining 10 external IP's to someone
else and live with the situation you already have.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy