Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"
  • From: Sean Lisse <lisse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:44:54 -0500

 > Thanks. I didn't mean to imply that this list is generally not
> helpful.  I was just lamenting my inability to find any help on this
> particular problem.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by being able to reproduce the problem.  The
> problem was very consistent.  I was seeing the exact same behavior for
> over a year, every time I opened a VPN connection.  It would work for a
> few seconds or minutes, then hang.
>
> Randy

Guess I'll chime in here, since I was the IT support guy who finally
"solved" Randy's problem.  For what it's worth, everyone else on the
same server was having no trouble whatsoever.  And the timeout issue was
independent of how many network hops Randy was away from the server, or
where he was - our first thought was a simple unreliable internet
connection, but it seemed to follow him wherever he went.

The only thing that makes any sense with this error would be if some
other computer out there were attempting to use Randy's cert, and the
two of them were fighting over who got to be logged in to the VPN at the
same time.  But I didn't really see anything like that indicated in the
logs.

Hope that helps,
  -Sean