Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"
  • From: "Randolph M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:19:43 -0500

Erich Titl wrote:
> Randy
>
> Randolph M. Jones wrote:
>> After months of frustration (and sadly no feedback from this mailing
>> list), I have finally solved the problem described in the message
>> below.  It turns out the solution was to issue me new certificates
>> and replace my .key and .crt files in the config folder.  Now, I have
>> no idea *why* this works, but apparently my old key and certificate
>> were causing OpenVPN to hang after anywhere from zero to five minutes
>> of connection.  If the certificates were corrupt somehow, I would
>> have thought that VPN would have failed to work *at all*.  But my
>> symptoms were to have a working connection for a random but brief
>> time, and then a hang.  Can anybody explain to me why I was able to
>> make this problem go away simply by using new certificates?
>
> I can understand your frustration, altough I must say this list has
> been most helpful a lot of times. It would be interesting to know if
> you can reproduce the problem using the old certificates. If so, the
> successful connection at start would indicate that the certificate and
> key are not corrupt, else openssl would have a bad flaw. The only
> thing I could think of has to do with time on Client and server and
> the validity of the certificates.
>
> Erich

Thanks.  I didn't mean to imply that this list is generally not
helpful.  I was just lamenting my inability to find any help on this
particular problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by being able to reproduce the problem.  The
problem was very consistent.  I was seeing the exact same behavior for
over a year, every time I opened a VPN connection.  It would work for a
few seconds or minutes, then hang.