Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Followup on "Inactivity timeout"
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:09:00 +0000

Randy

Randolph M. Jones wrote:
> After months of frustration (and sadly no feedback from this mailing
> list), I have finally solved the problem described in the message
> below.  It turns out the solution was to issue me new certificates and
> replace my .key and .crt files in the config folder.  Now, I have no
> idea *why* this works, but apparently my old key and certificate were
> causing OpenVPN to hang after anywhere from zero to five minutes of
> connection.  If the certificates were corrupt somehow, I would have
> thought that VPN would have failed to work *at all*.  But my symptoms
> were to have a working connection for a random but brief time, and then
> a hang.  Can anybody explain to me why I was able to make this problem
> go away simply by using new certificates?

I can understand your frustration, altough I must say this list has been
most helpful a lot of times. It would be interesting to know if you can
reproduce the problem using the old certificates. If so, the successful
connection at start would indicate that the certificate and key are not
corrupt, else openssl would have a bad flaw. The only thing I could
think of has to do with time on Client and server and the validity of
the certificates.