[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client can only reached by OpenVPN server itself

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client can only reached by OpenVPN server itself
  • From: Frank <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:50:28 +0000 (UTC)

Hi!

I've got a big problem reaching a connected client from other PCs than the
OpenVPN server by it's OpenVPN IP address.

First I should mention I installed a new Debian server as VM in VMWare Server
1.04. eth0 is bridged via vmnet0 to the real eth0 and eth1 is bridged via vmnet2
to the real eth1. The real eth0 is connected to my network and the real eth1 is
connected to an ADSL modem because this server is also used as internet router
for my network.

Then I copied all OpenVPN configuration files from my old server (which wasn't a
VM) to this server and configured the bridging and routing like it was on the
old server.

All is working well, the OpenVPN client connects, gets an IP address, and I can
reach it from the OpenVPN server itself. But when I try to reach it from another
PC (using it's OpenVPN IP address) of my network it cannot be found. This was
working on the old server. When I use it's IP address of the clients network it
works well from every PC in my network.

Here is how the networks looks like:

192.168.10.0: my network
192.168.20.0: clients network

192.168.10.1: OpenVPN server and internet router
<---> Internet <--->
192.168.20.5: OpenVPN client and internet router, gets 192.168.10.5 after
connecting in my network

There is a route to 192.168.10.5 for the 192.168.20.0 network.

This works:
192.168.10.1# ping 192.168.10.5
192.168.10.1# ping 192.168.20.5
192.168.10.5# ping 192.168.20.5

This does not work (but worked on the old non-VM server):
192.168.10.5# ping 192.168.10.5

I think because of this problem PCs of the client network cannot reach any PC in
my network except the OpenVPN server because answers from my PCs are sent back
to 192.168.10.5 (I think so) which cannot be reached by any of my PCs except the
OpenVPN server itself.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is it because it runs as VM?

Frank