[Openvpn-users] Routing problem

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Routing problem
  • From: "Lars Skjærlund" <lars@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:44:30 +0100

Hi list,

I'm new to OpenVPN and stuck with a routing problem - a trivial
problem, I hope.

I'm trying to connect two Linux computers:

195.10.10.10 <-> 192.168.10.10

The first is using a registered IP, the second a private IP. I've
created a tunnel using more or less default values, with the registered
IP as the server and the private IP as the client. The server has the IP
10.8.0.1, and the client 10.8.0.6. I can ping both these adresses.

Unfortunately, I must run an application that will only connect to the
servers' primary addresses: It's a database application, and when the
two instances need to communicate, it will connect from 195.10.10.10 to
192.168.10.10 or vice versa.

Because of this, I've setup an extra route pointing to the primary
interface on the other end, ie. the server has a route directing
192.168.10.10/32 through tun0, and the client routes 195.10.10.10/32
through it's tun0. When the tunnel comes up, routing tables in both ends
are updated correctly and I've enabled packet forwarding.

Still, though, it doesn't work: Using tcpdump, when I ping an IP, I can
see echo request packets entering tun0, but they are never received on
the other end. The behaviour is identical in both ends.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Lars
--