[Openvpn-users] Bidirectional fairness

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Bidirectional fairness
  • From: Matti Linnanvuori <mattilinnanvuori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:29:39 -0800 (PST)

Rob MacGregor:
> This could be a result of the network connection - most home
> connections (ADSL/cable) have a higher download bandwidth than upload
> bandwidth.  This means that if you're connecting to a remote server
> you'll have a lower "from client" bandwidth available, so less
> traffic.

The network connection was not ADSL but D-Link DFE-580TX Fast Ethernet
or E1 that are not supposed to be so asymmetric. I wonder whether
OpenVPN is designed to be fair between the opposite directions or not.
It does not have separate threads for both directions, so it would have
to be designed right to achieve fairness.