Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Comcast

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Comcast
  • From: Marco Fretz <mailinglist@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:30:23 +0100

as far as i know, openvpn is like https over the internet. so an isp may
not be able to block openvpn packets, right?
i guess its something with ur router. linksys has got a configuration
point "vpn pass through", but i think this  only applies to ipsec / esp
packets.

we ve run into ssh / vpn issues with linksys and dlink modems while
using them in router (no nat enabled) mode. this "cheap" modems are not
forwarding the icmp messages which controls the MTU discovery correctly.
if its an MTU issue u can try to set ur openvpn client's MTU to
something like 1492 instead of 1500 (u have to edit this in windows
registry)

point is: with a modem in NAT mode, the modem is ur TCP / UDP connection
endpoint (it controls the MTU). with mode in router mode, ur client may
be the endpoint but it can discover the MTU because the modem does not
forward the needed icmp packets correctly.

kind regards
 marco