[Openvpn-users] Problems with file sharing on VPN client, not on VPN server

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Problems with file sharing on VPN client, not on VPN server
  • From: "Arild Jacobsen" <ar-jacob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:59:50 +0100

Hi,

I hope someone are able to help me with the following problem which puzzles
me:

I have established a standard openVPN connection between a client and a
server, using the default server.ovpn and client.ovpn configuration files as
given on the openVPN site. The connection works fine from the client to the
server. I am sharing a folder on the server, which is visible (and mapped to
a drive-letter) on the client.

However, I also have some shared folders on the client, which I would like
to access from the server side when the VPN tunnel is up. But when I try to
map the client-side shared folder to a drive-letter on the server, it
responds with an error saying the network path is unknown. However, I am at
the same time able to ping the client IP address from the server, but NET
VIEW does not work (responds with error message).

I have tried to turn off the firewall on both sides without any help. I
should also mention that I have disabled NetBIOS on the client side, since I
have learned that file and printer sharing can be done without involving
NetBIOS by using port 445 (ports 137, 138, 139 blocked by firewall). File
sharing works fine on my home network (I have another computer
connected physically to the same switch as the client, where I can see the
shared
folders on the client computer). However, I am unable to reach the shared
folders
through the OpenVPN TUN adapter from the server side.

The server runs Microsoft server 2003, and the client runs Windows XP
Professional.

I first thought maybe file sharing requires broadcast to work, and that I
should use TAP instead of TUN, but then I should not be able to view the
shared folders on the server from the client (which I am able to).

Is it an OpenVPN configuration issue?
Do you think the fault is on the client side or the server side?

Best regards,

Arild