[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN, Vista and privilege elevation

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN, Vista and privilege elevation
  • From: Quentin Garnier <qgarnier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:23:29 +0100

Hi all,

I've been rolling out a custom Windows installer of OpenVPN 2.0.9 and
the GUI to my users for some time now.  While OpenVPN does connect on
Vista, it fails to add the required routes to the internal network,
which makes it rather useless for my users.

I've been trying to work around that issue today, but so far I've
failed.

The things I considered:

  * route-method exe => requires privilege elevation
  * route-method ipapi => fails with 2.0.9, requires privilege
    elevation with 2.1rc4

At that point, I thought my only solution was to use OpenVPN as a
service, which means I still need 2.1rc4 to get ipapi working.

Alas, I'm unable to make OpenVPN-as-a-service work with a configuration
where the private key is password-protected.  Simply starting the
service doesn't work, of course, as it complains about not being able
to read the passphrase, but what's more worrisome is the GUI failing
to, I quote, "open OpenVPNService".

Anyone has a solution?  The point is to have an installation package
that ships with my own config and lets the user just click the icon,
enter the password and connect afterwards.

I'm not afraid of trying diffs, I can probably set up a MinGW
environment to recompile openvpn.exe pretty easily.