[Openvpn-users] Multihomed?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Multihomed?
  • From: Todor Boev <t.boev@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:02:48 +0200

Hello,
I have recently setup a private home network based on the infamous
linksys wrt54gl router. The network consists of my home machine, the
wrt54gl router (as a gateway and a dhcp server) and my laptop. Since the
router bridges it's Ethernet and wireless interfaces all 3 devices are
part of the same IP network - which is nice :)
On top of this I also want to setup a VPN on the router and add it's tap
to the same bridge. The purpose is to bring a couple of external
machines into my home network.
The tricky part is that I also want the laptop to be on the VPN so that
it remains on the network while I travel around. As I understand it my
laptop will at all times be on two IP networks: the current physical
network and the VPN. However when I get back home each nigh the current
physical network is provided by the wireless access point of my router.
So my laptop will suddenly have two interfaces with IP's on the same
network. I heard this is called to be "multihomed". My question is will
this create any problems for me or things will just work?