[Openvpn-devel] OpenVPN future plans, was: Re: future of Openvpn / time to fork ?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-devel] OpenVPN future plans, was: Re: future of Openvpn / time to fork ?
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:39:19 -0700

To the OpenVPN Community:

I apologize for the longer-than-expected 2.1 release cycle.  But I'm
actually pleased to announce that there is good news on the horizon.  We
will likely be getting some funding shortly to organize the OpenVPN
project more as a traditional open source business, where support
services and commercial licensing will fund paid positions for
coordinating maintenance and release cycles.  Quite frankly, as OpenVPN
has matured, the effort required to maintain the project has gone beyond
what a single individual can do in their spare time.

The plan is this:  in the short term, we're going to work on catching up
with the patch queue and getting 2.1 out the door.

In particular, there is one outstanding issue where we could use a
volunteer.  The 2.1-rc4 version of the Windows TAP driver, which
contains a minor fix for Vista support, is broken on Win2K (When built
with the Vista DDK RC 1 and explicitly targeted at Win2K and higher).
This is something that needs to be resolved before 2.1 can be released.

Longer term, the OpenVPN prognosis is looking very good.  With
additional funding being likely, look for improvements in the web site
(Wiki, bug-reports/feature-request management), new commercial support
offerings, and a possible appliance product.  With new funding, we will
also push for third party security certification and drafting of a
comprehensive RFC that documents the underlying OpenVPN protocol.

If you'd like to be a part of the new OpenVPN team, we are looking for
guru-level developers to work on OpenVPN 3.  If you are interested,
please send your resume to info@xxxxxxxxxxx and include "resume" in the
subject line.

Best Regards,
James