Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: Marco Fretz <mailinglist@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:32:09 +0100

bart schrieb:
> Michael,
> Thank you for that very helpful post. When I am connected with OpenVPN and I do
> "ipconfig/all" then the value for "Default Gateway:" is blank. So can I assume
> that I am NOT using my employer's gateway? (the only IP address that appear
> under this middle heading are for for "IP Address:" "DHCP Server:" and "DNS
> Servers:")

hi bart

u have to know the following things

- u must not have entered a proxy server in ur webbrowsers connection
settings (check browser settings)
- ur default gateway is not pointing to anything other then ur home
router / gateway (find out with route print on windows)
- on whatismyip.com u get the same ip even if ur are connect with the
vpn or not
- ipconfig /all on windows shows u nothing other then ur providers / or
ur own dns servers

if this all is ture there should be no way to track ur internet
activities (for noone excluding ur ISP :))

in most office / road warrior vpn setups the vpn server does not change
ur default route. but there may be some exceptions.

marco