Re: [Openvpn-users] Using openvpn client -> server connection as a VPN link between 2 sites

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Using openvpn client -> server connection as a VPN link between 2 sites
  • From: Marco Fretz <mailinglist@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:09:16 +0100

Tom Brown schrieb:
>> Yes, it can.
>>
>> It also depends on the details:
>>  - IP ranges
>>  - is there any bridging ?
>>
>> The biggest issue is the back route: How do get packets
>> from the office back to your LAN ? Can you add a route
>> in the office router ? Does is assign you an IP range ?
>>

> thanks - the IP ranges of the 2 networks are different and each network
> has its own dhcp server however the office vpn server does assign vpn
> IP's from a pool and the linux client at home has one of these.
>
> I can add routes to the office router if required

ok then.

i assume ur "office router" is default gateway for all office clients

so for example:

office network 192.168.1.0/24
home network 192.168.2.0/24
ur office router in vpn network 10.8.0.1 (this should better be static,
use ccd in openvpn)
ur home router in vpn network 10.8.0.2 (this should better be static,
use ccd in openvpn)

on ur office router u need a route like the following

192.168.2.0/24 next-hop 10.8.0.2

on ur home router (a assume its default gateway for ur home clients)

192.168.1.0/24 next-hop 10.8.0.1

if this openvpn linux box u have at home is not the default gateway for
ur home network then its a bit more complicated:
on ur default gateway put a route like this

192.168.1.0/24 next-hop <our linux openvpn box>
and on the openvpn box
192.168.1.0/24 next-hop 10.8.0.1

this should do the trick