Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: bart <batm947@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

> Note it may be possible for your browser to use your employer's proxy
> server while connected to OpenVPN. One situation that comes to mind is
> WPAD on Windows and Internet Explorer, if your IE is configured to
> automatically obtain connection information and your employer uses
> WPAD, it's possible your browser will auto configure itself to use
> their proxy. You can be guaranteed that won't happen if you use
> Firefox.

Ack, I felt like I was almost over the finish line until that bit :)

In IE (v6.0.2) when I go to Tools->Internet Options->LAN Settings there is a
checkmark next to "Automatically Detect Settings." I take this to open the
possibility that my employer has a record of my internet traffic.

Is there any way I can tell if the IE on my home PC has been using the company
proxy server while I have been connected with OpenVPN?