Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: bart <batm947@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:16:23 +0000 (UTC)

> OK, so basically your employer can (if they really want) see which
> hostnames you are looking up, but they can't tell what you are doing
> with them.

Just to clarify: this means that when I requested web pages while connected with
OpenVPN, the packet data containing the actual content of those web pages never
went through the company's system, correct? All that happened was a hostname was
sent and an IP address was sent back.

I have been concerned about this because all this time that I have been using
OpenVPN I was using Remote Desktop, and didn't realize my employer could see
what sites I visit using my home PC's browser. There are sites that I access
from home that would cause problems for me if I visited them from work (not
necessarily adult sites, I mean job search sites, competitors that are courting
me, etc).

I have just two last questions:

history if only the company DNS is used and not the company gateway. Can you
please describe this a bit more to someone who doesn't have a sys admin
background? Why is it easier for them or more likely for them to examine gateway
traffic than DNS lookups?

2) If they were to examine DNS logs and find something they didn't like, would
these logs definitively show that I accessed these sites from my home PC and not
from work? Would they even definitely know it had been from my home PC, and not
from someone else using OpenVPN?

I have found OpenVPN brilliant to use, but will be more careful now that I
understand these issues.