[Openvpn-users] load balancing with a wee problem

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] load balancing with a wee problem
  • From: Sebastian Perkins <sperkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:20:27 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

We are using openvpn tunnel mode with 2 servers + 22 clients interconnecting our offices. Works great !

Clients are openvpn 2.0.7 -> 2.0.9 (fedora core 3 or 4) and serveurs are FC5 + openvpn 2.1rc2 (from the yum repository).

The 2 servers are used for load balancing : each is connected to an ADSL modem. The clients connect with 2 remote entries + resolve random to balance. Actually this solution is also quite fault tolerant.

So far so good, our problem comes from a client's light broadband failure (ie under 20min) :  the client's tunnel doesn't come back up.

I've gone through the logs, it seems that :
Client A  is connected  to  Server 1
broadband goes down
broadband goes up
Client A  reconnects using "remote random" => connects to server 2
Server 1 issues a reconnection ("ping restarting...")

Then I get "connnexion refused" errors...

If I issue "service openvpn restart" on the client, everything works fine. Server side, all other tunneled connexions are fine and do not experience any problems. Clients that come down are in 2.0.7 or 2.0.9...

I can post the configs I you want, but my idea is that the servers are using "keepalive" options, just like the clients : should I just use keepalive on the clients ? Or am I wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian Perkins
Responsable Informatique
sperkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx