Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: bart <batm947@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:38:37 +0000 (UTC)

> Bart, what does IPCONFIG/ALL say ?
> What does "nslookup www.google.com" say ?
> That will tell you if DNS traffic is going over VPN or not.
>
> David

Hi David,

1) When I do IPCONFIG/ALL, I see three headings with information:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Ethernet adaptor openvpn
Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection

If I have openvpn connected, then there is more information contained under the
middle heading ("Ethernet adaptor openvpn"). This information is in the form of
IP addresses.

2) When I do nslookup www.google.com without openvpn, I can see that my ISP for
my home internet connection is listed after "Server:"

If I connect to openvpn and do the same thing, I can then see that a server from
work is listed after "Server:"

So I take it that this means that my employer has a record of every web page
that have I viewed using my browser on my home PC whenever openvpn was
connected. They never informed me of this, but I will be careful in the future.

One more question: will the logs clearly show that I accessed these pages from
my home PC, and not while physically on company premises?

Thanks