Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: "Chris Buechler" <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:21:40 -0500

On Jan 13, 2008 8:12 PM, bart <batm947@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a quick question. I connect to my PC at work from my PC at home using
> OpenVPN and Remote Desktop. If I browse web pages using a browser running on my
> home PC while OpenVPN is connected, is it possible for my employer to know what
> web pages I have visited?

I think Michael read your question in reverse.

When connected to your work network from your home PC (not vice versa,
for which Michael's answer is correct), whether your employer can see
where you're browsing depends on how the OpenVPN connection is
configured. If they route all traffic through the VPN connection,
they'll be able to see everything you do while connected. If they
force your system to use their DNS servers, whether or not all traffic
goes over OpenVPN, they'll know every site you go to from the DNS
lookups.

It's also possible they're using a configuration where neither your
DNS nor web traffic uses your employer's network, in which case they
don't know what you're doing (without another means, like a keylogger
or other software on your home PC).

It would be best to assume they can see everything you're doing while
you're connected. It sounds like you don't control the OpenVPN server,
so even if that's not the case now, that could change and you wouldn't
know it.

-Chris