Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Routing Issue

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Routing Issue
  • From: Jan Just Keijser <janjust@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:05:52 +0100

Hi Peter,

plz post the routing table of your VPN client machine after connecting;
this is definitely a routing issue. Also, I was a bit confused by your
answer; please read your previous answer again and make sure that you're
not mixing client and server

An "old style" config does not use any certificates but uses pre-shared
keys instead. It is not related to tun or tap setups. In its simplest
form an old style config looks something like

# client
remote server-IP
port 1194
dev tun
ifconfig 10.200.0.1 10.200.0.2
secret c:\program files\openvpn\keys\secret.txt ## a text file
containing the PSK
route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
tun-mtu 1500
comp-lzo
# add other openvpn config commands here...

# server
remote client-IP
port 1194
dev tun
ifconfig 10.200.0.2 10.200.0.1 ## note the reversal of IPs!
secret c:\program files\openvpn\keys\secret.txt ## a text file
containing the PSK
route 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0
tun-mtu 1500
comp-lzo
# add other openvpn config commands here...

This is also explained quite well in the openvpn HOWTO page on
http://openvpn.net

HTH,

JJK