Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN security question
  • From: Michael Heydon <michaelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:48:52 +0900

bart wrote:
> I have a quick question. I connect to my PC at work from my PC at home using
> OpenVPN and Remote Desktop. If I browse web pages using a browser running on my
> home PC while OpenVPN is connected, is it possible for my employer to know what
> web pages I have visited?
>
> Thanks

Yes and no, your traffic is encrypted so they couldn't simply monitor
the network (that is the whole point of a VPN, secure communication over
an untrusted network). However one of your end points is compromised in
the sense that the "attacker" (who isn't really attacking anything as it
is their equipment and they can do what ever they want with it) has full
access to your work PC.  They could run software on your PC that would
monitor keystrokes, take screen dumps or grab network data before it
enters the VPN.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michaelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>