Re: [Openvpn-users] Configuration problems

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Configuration problems
  • From: Willy Offermans <Willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:56:22 +0100

Hello Koen, Jan Just and OpenVPN friends,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 09:29:50AM +0100, koen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Jan Just,
>
> > ah this is a bridging setup - haven't you read that bridging setups are
> > evil  ;-) ?
> > why do you need tap/bridging? are you using non-IP traffic?
> > multicast/broadcast traffic ?
>
> Based on the description I found on the openvpn site, it seemed like a
> bridging setup would match my needs. Anyway, I switched to a tun setup,
> which seems to work fine to reach the openvpn server. For other uses (such
> as accessing the internet through the vpn server's IP address), I need to
> look into the right nat/routing commands some more.
>
> > I am not very familiar with bridging setups and don't have the time
> > right now to look into this. Perhaps somebody else on this list knows of
> > a good bridging tutorial?

Maybe something like the following:

brctl addbr br0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig eth2 0.0.0.0 promisc up
brctl addif br0 eth1 eth2 ...
dhclient br0

But keep an eye on firewalls, they can make your life very difficult. It
is better to shut down the firewalls temporarily and after the working
setup of OpenVPN to put them in gear one by one again.

> If there is such a thing, I'd be happy to go over it and try a tap setup
> again!
>
> Best,
> Koen

Sorry Guys, that I jump in here and that I have missed the previous
e-mails in this thread.

Basically you do not need bridging to get the VPN working properly.
There are a lot of other tricks. If you have problems with the working
of VPN I suggest to leave the bridging part till the end and start with
the usual setup to reach the VPN server in a proper way.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy