Re: [Openvpn-users] samba, my network places, and routed vpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] samba, my network places, and routed vpn
  • From: "Brad Bendily" <bendily@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:59:20 -0600

> Dave wrote:
> > connecting clients however still can not see network shares. Did i miss
> > something? Aside from this everything else works?
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.

I have had some strange dealings with accessing servers and shares.
I have OpenVPN setup with about 20-30 clients connecting. They mostly
use the VPN to access network shares and a couple internal web servers.
Some clients that connect never have DNS issues, some do. From my home
computer I can use the server name (\\servername\sharename) to access a
server and it works great. Other laptops cannot do this. The config on the
client and server is exactly the same (except for the certs). Those that
cannot connect via DNS can use the IP and not have any problems.
I am pushing a WINS and DNS server which are both for my AD. I'm actually
pushing two WINS and DNS servers, both are AD domain controllers that
run DNS.
Just wanted to give my experiences.
bb