Re: [Openvpn-users] samba, my network places, and routed vpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] samba, my network places, and routed vpn
  • From: Colin Ryan <colinr@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:17:09 -0500

Dave,

This is all easier said than done. I've tried it a couple of times
ultimately with no success.

Instead of outlining what's required (which I will do) I will start with
- from my trying it and reading (maybe someone will set me straight)
I'll start with why/when it doesn't work.

#1 Problem: Name resolution and browsing are not the same thing and it's
browsing that is the "bitch".

Fundamentally you can get name resolution by way of Samba, where the
samba server will broadcast to the remove subnet and get the result, but
these queries do NOT build the master browser list with IP addresses,
just names.

So the crux of it is that unless you have a domain controller that the
workstations register with and then enable WINS services or maybe if you
have your Samba box being the domain controller (and handing out IP's)
then I believe a proper browsing list get's created. But if you have no
domain controller it is my feeling that your SoL with respect to browsing.

--- Requirements for cross domain browsing --
The general problem with the Windows networking in a network containing
(any sort of) routers is that it relies on broadcasts for name
resolution and browse lists, and routers usually don't pass broadcasts.
Communication of machine names and browse lists (i.e. the lists you can
see in the "Network Neighborhood" windows) across subnets requires the
use of machines which run special services:

*(at least) one WINS server in the network - must be configured;
*one domain master browser for each Workgroup or Domain - must be
configured;
*one local master browser in each subnet - selected automatically among
all active Windows (9x/NT) or Samba machines but can be configured to
prefer a machine with long uptime for reliability.
*It is possible to use Windows NT machines or Samba for each of these
tasks. The file BROWSING.txt from the Samba documentation explains how
this works and how to set it up.
*It is also necessary that all machines participating in the Windows
network are configured to use the WINS server for name resolution.
---