Re: [Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn
  • From: Raven <raven@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:19:08 +0100

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 19:05 +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 11:45 AM, Raven <raven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <---SNIP--->
> > But implementing the port forwarding is the big issue. How do I proceed to do that?
> > Is it something openvpn will take care of, or do I have to tune iptables too?
>
> That's down to IPTables.

So the openvpn config I have so far is good enough?
I read something about connection bridging, should I set up that too (on
the VPS, between tun and eth)?

> Reasons this is a Bad Idea:
>
> 1) Latency - when somebody connects to your server the packets then
> get stuffed through the tunnel to your home PC, and back again.
>
> 2) Bandwidth - your home PC is going to have a lower bandwidth than
> the server, and if you're on ADSL or cable then the upload (which is
> what others will be using to get the web pages) is going to be much
> lower than your download bandwidth (the one everybody advertises).

My ISP provides 10mbit symmetric T1 for just 40 euro a month, so speed's
not the issue.
(Unfortunately, the ISP does not provide a public IP address..)

> 3) Reliability - the server and it's environment will be *much* more
> reliable than your home connection and PC.

I have to keep down costs, and a powerful dedicated server costs big
bucks

Raven