Re: [Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn
  • From: "Rob MacGregor" <rob.macgregor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:05:43 +0000

On Jan 3, 2008 11:45 AM, Raven <raven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
<---SNIP--->
> But implementing the port forwarding is the big issue. How do I proceed to do that?
> Is it something openvpn will take care of, or do I have to tune iptables too?

That's down to IPTables.

Reasons this is a Bad Idea:

1) Latency - when somebody connects to your server the packets then
get stuffed through the tunnel to your home PC, and back again.

2) Bandwidth - your home PC is going to have a lower bandwidth than
the server, and if you're on ADSL or cable then the upload (which is
what others will be using to get the web pages) is going to be much
lower than your download bandwidth (the one everybody advertises).

3) Reliability - the server and it's environment will be *much* more
reliable than your home connection and PC.

4) T&C of your home Internet link may forbid this - if your ISP
notices you may suddenly find yourself cut off.

You'll almost certainly want to switch to using TUN instead of TAP.
You'll probably also have to ensure that your VPN server makes itself
the default route (redirect-gateway).

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.