[Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Help needed to setup openvpn
  • From: Raven <raven@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:45:44 +0100

Hi to everybody.
I'm a linux user with no knowledge whatsoever about openvpn, so please
excuse my noob questions :-)

I have a linux box sitting behind a gateway that implements NAT. I
cannot change anything on the gateway, so no port forwarding is
possible.
I found a company that provides very cheap VPS hosting and I wanted use
openvpn to get access to WWW, mail (smtp,imap+pop) and DB daemons.
What I want to acheive is that when somebody types www.myvps.com the
request will be redirected to my-nat-box:80. Same thing for all the
other services I mentioned above.
The service has to be outbound too, meaning that the traffic going out
from my-nat-box has to go through myvps.com .

I google'd around a little and learned how to set up basic VPN with the
server/client config:

*server.conf

dev tap
lport 5000
ifconfig 10.4.0.1 255.255.255.0
secret /etc/openvpn/vpn.key

*client.conf

remote myvps.com
dev tap
rport 5000
ifconfig 10.4.0.2 255.255.255.0
secret /etc/openvpn/vpn.key
verb 9

This setup allows me to ping the both the servers.
But implementing the port forwarding is the big issue. How do I proceed to do that?
Is it something openvpn will take care of, or do I have to tune iptables too?

Raven