[Openvpn-users] Winsock Corruption on Windows Vista

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Winsock Corruption on Windows Vista
  • From: "Jean-Francois Im" <jeanfrancois.im@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:58:29 -0500

Hi,

I recently uninstalled OpenVPN from my installation of Windows Vista
Business and while doing so, it ate my Winsock settings, wrecking
havok on the system. I can therefore confirm that the Winsock
corruption issue is still present and occurs on Windows Vista using
OpenVPN 2.1_rc4. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the Winsock issue
at that time and used system restore, which completely killed the OS.

However, from running other applications after uninstalling OpenVPN,
it would appear that WSAStartup fails after the Winsock corruption
issue happens. If so, a small program could be run after uninstalling
the TUN/TAP adapter with appropriate instructions for a user to follow
so that they can fix their system if the issue happens, instead of
simply being left in the dark.

It might also be useful to update the FAQ to mention that the problem
can also occur in other OSes than Windows 2000, there was another post
on openvpn-users that mentions Windows XP.