Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN sizing question

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN sizing question
  • From: Jan Just Keijser <janjust@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:03:06 +0100

hi,

exactly what is it that you are trying to achieve?
OpenVPN supports 1000+ users without problems but this has very little
to do with shell scripts and user login+passwords: openvpn uses
certificates to manage its users. It is possible to add user
login+password authentication but it is still a bad idea to share the
same certificate amongst many users. So have you thought about managing
1000+ certificates?

ISPs support many thousands of users on a single unix/linux box for
login shell access, so I don't see too many problems there either. Run
enought instances of 'nscd' or anything else that caches username
credentials and you should be fine. Also, some Unix flavours support
hashing of the /etc/passwd+/etc/shadow files for faster access. I'm not
sure if Linux also supports it but would be highly surprised if it doesn't.

HTH,

JJK