Re: [Openvpn-users] performance numbers part 2

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] performance numbers part 2
  • From: "Prasanna Krishnamoorthy" <prasanna79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:56:26 +0530

On Dec 14, 2007 9:44 AM, kt o <krt2941@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Given the feedback, I went back and ran the network performance tests
> again.
Thanks! This is excellent work - I think the openvpn-devel list should
also see this.

> Client -> Server: (i.e. client runs netperf and server runs netserver)
> Dev Tun, plaintext, no-LZO: 48.82, 49.62, 48.30, 49.70
> Server->Client: (i.e. client runs netserver and server run netperf)
> Dev Tun, plaintext, no-LZO: 63.70, 64.03, 61.06, 63.73

This is the key difference I believe. For some reason, with this
config, your openVPN setup is much faster sending data to the client.

One way to dig up a little more information. Can you swap the client
and server? Make the Opteron the VPN server, and the Athlon the VPN
client? Then repeat this test. That way we could isolate if this is a
hw/network card issue. My suspicion is that this has something to do
with the number of interrupts generated - perhaps the client is faster
at interrupt handling? We would also need to figure out the effect of
XP and 2003.
OpenVPN mailing lists