[Openvpn-users] fixing a tap interface ip

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] fixing a tap interface ip
  • From: George Georgalis <george@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:11:54 -0500

I have a host on an ISP dhcp which gets a new ip
every 3 or 4 weeks and maintains an openvpn client
tap by manual as needed passphrase entry.

On static ip, the openvpn server host uses a
tap bridge and is configured for persistant ip

Ocasionally I find the dhcp client with an
established connection but a new ip on the lan/tap
network (and my lan systems can't find it anymore).
So I break the connection and reestablish it to get
the expected IP on the lan.

I presume what's happening is the client dhcp lease
expires, it gets a new ip and establishes a new
connection before the server releases the connection
to the old IP.

So, my question is how do I assign a permanant tap
ip for the client? I have full control of the lan
dhcp, PTR and A records, and would prefer to use
that for assignments, if possible.

// George
OpenVPN mailing lists