Re: [Openvpn-users] How to route between subnets in different instances of the daemon?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to route between subnets in different instances of the daemon?
  • From: Mark Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:47:27 +0000

I have the iroute and push route going OK, so if you connect to the same
instance on port 1194 net 10.8.0.0/30, it all works.

If you connect to the second instance on port 1195 10.8.1.0/30, it
doesnt. Note, I dont push the same routes on both instances, only the
routes for the nets directly connected to that instance. If I were to
push all the routes on every instance I would be banging into the
push_buffer limit again, and I may as well have everything on the same
instance.

I know that I could "just" recompile with a larger push_buffer, however
that involves the server and some client builds on Linux, no problems
there. The windows version, wtf how many bits do I have to install to
compile? Ok, I should be able to do that..... And finally, the DD-WRT
portion, where according to one, the source tree is unable to be
compiled from SVN without some major hurdles, as it appears the GPL
project is heading in a decidedly non GPL direction.

Add to that, I'm starting to see some problems with the new version of
OpenVPN working on those stupid vista laptops everyone wants.

Cheers, Mark.

Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> Your question is slightly confusing ;-)
> How are the 192.168.25.0/24 and 192.168.101.0/24 subnets connected ?
> Isn't adding
>  push "route 192.168.101.0 255.255.255.0"
> to the server config sufficient? clients from the 10.8.0.1 domain should
> now be able to see this subnet, provided that the VPN server that
> they're connecting to can see this subnet.
>
> cheers,
>
> JJK
>
> Mark Berry wrote:
>> If I have 2 OpenVPN server instances like :
>>
>> 10.8.0.1 -> 192.168.25.0/24
>>
>> Clients conecting to this have its route pushed to them, works fine.
>>
>> To work around the push_buffer limit, I want further subnets on another
>> instance of openvpn like :
>>
>> 10.8.1.1 -> 192.168.101.0/24
>>
>> Now, a client connecting to the 10.8.0.1 instance, cannot access the
>> 192.168.101.0 net.
>>
>> What can I do about this? I know it has to do with the routing, but I'm
>> afraid I'm not clued up enough to know the answer.
>>
>> Can anyone help?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)