[Openvpn-users] mixed tun-tap setup

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] mixed tun-tap setup
  • From: sadfub@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:59:15 +0100

Hello everyone,

actually I've here a multiple client tun-server running, but I need a
client with a tap device. (I'll use this in a VMware instance with
bridging, and tun doesn't work) Since each connection has to have
identically tun xor tap interfaces my server.conf has a "dev tun" line
in its configuration file. Hence I feel impossible to make a tap-client.

A solution could be to run multiple OpenVPN instances on my box, and
connect the networks with routing. So I inspected the
/etc/init.d/openvpn script and I saw that there seems to be support for
multiple instances:

[...]
for CONFIG in `cd $CONFIG_DIR; ls *.conf 2> /dev/null`; do
   NAME=${CONFIG%%.conf}
   start_vpn
done
[...]

My question, is there a small guide somewhere that I could read? Is it
possible to use the certificates I already using for the tun-openvpn
network, since the new instance would need a sever certificate, or am I
wrong?

thank you very much
Mathias

BTW: Perhaps I missed a section in the book of Markus Feilner "OpenVPN -
Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks"?