Re: [Openvpn-users] Sending Specific Internet Traffic ThroughVPN and rest through ISP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Sending Specific Internet Traffic ThroughVPN and rest through ISP
  • From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:27:05 -0500

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 17:19 +0200, Ali Jawad wrote:
> Dear Brian
>
> I am confident in the use of IPtables

iptables != routing.

> ..however, routing in this question
> should be done on the XP clients true ?

routing always needs to be done on both ends of a connection (and
everywhere in between, but you can usually count on the bits in the
middle working) as packets need to be directed and flow in both
directions

> So, you are suggesting that I setup some routing rules in XP in order to
> send traffic according to criteria through the VPN connection?

i think i'm suggesting that if you do not already understand how routing
works and what it's supposed to achieve, you need to do that.  once you
have done that, you can answer your own question about where you need
routing rules.  without understanding your set up, i cannot tell you
what routing you need and where.  i can assure you though that once you
understand routing, you will know how and where to apply it.

b.