Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending (Off-Topic)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending (Off-Topic)
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:06:10 -0600

Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Les -
>
>    Thanks for the explanation.  Unfortunately it doesn't appear to help
> my situation.  We do not run a mail server at our office.  Our incoming
> mail service is provided by a third party provider.  Our outgoing mail
> service is directed to the mail server at our local DSL provider.  All
> incoming and outgoing mail for the PC clients in our office therefore
> does not go through our server.  My employee would love to be able to
> use her regular Windows Mail client when she is accessing the internet
> from wireless connections at hotel meeting rooms.  If anyone has any
> other suggestions for me you can send them directly to me and we can
> take this off-list, since we are clearly off topic now.  Thanks.

In that case it really is openvpn related and is a matter of routing.
Your ISP forwarder will be doing the same IP range test to permit access
that your one server would do, but you probably aren't routing the
connection to that server and NATting it so it appears to come from the
address range the ISP knows.  One way to accomplish this would be to use
your own sendmail as a forwarder that then forwards to the ISP.
However, since you mentioned a 3rd party mail provider, before you
change anything else find out if your mail client can be configured to
send through them with some sort of authentication so the sending IP
doesn't matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx