Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:24:35 -0600

Jeff Boyce wrote:

>    Clearly this subject is moving off-topic for this list, but as a
> novice administrator for a small office I need to ask for some
> additional clarification on your advice.  In your last sentence you
> state that if the openvpn connection is not known by the mail server, I
> will have to fix that up, or set up authentication.  How would I fix it
> up, or how would I set up authentication?  With the amount of
> information I provided on my setup I don't expect you to be able to
> provide an specifics, but can you give me some general guidance, and
> terms that I can use to do some further searching on google and find
> documentation to read?  Anything will help here.  Thanks.

If you are running the stock RH sendmail, you probably have already
fixed the DAEMON_OPTIONS line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc by removing the
Addr=127.0.0.1 that prevents receiving any outside mail and rebuilt
sendmail.cf (by running make in /etc/mail or just restarting sendmail
with 'service sendmail restart').  You also probably have an entry in
/etc/mail/access with RELAY for your lan IP range.  Add another entry to
cover your openvpn range that permits RELAY for them, and rebuild the
access.db by running make or restarting sendmail.  You should see
entries in /var/log/maillog for anything you send so you can tell if it
was denied or sent.  Authentication is somewhat more complicated, but in
combination with ssl encryption which virtually all mail clients do
these days, it can make the vpn unnecessary if all you want is mail access.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx