Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:28:25 -0600

Jeff Boyce wrote:

> I just set up my first road warrior openvpn laptop client and am having one
> minor problem with regards to emailing.  The client is running Windows Vista
> and Openvpn 2.0.9.  The server is RedHat Linux also running Openvpn 2.0.9.
>>From a public access wifi point, the client is able to access the internet
> and remotely access the office Samba server running on the same box as
> Openvpn.  They are also able to receive email through their standard Windows
> Mail client program.  However, they are unable to send mail from the Windows
> Mail client program.  When this laptop is in the office and is connected to
> the local network, sending and receiving mail works correctly through the
> Windows mail client.  I am assuming that I need to make some change in the
> laptops Openvpn configuration file, or a routing tweak.  How do other part
> time road warriors set up their system so that email works the same whether
> in the office, or outside with remote access?

Mail servers normally accept mail from anywhere if the destination is
the local domain, but restrict access to a known IP range or senders
authenticated with SMTP AUTH if the destination is remote.  If the
address of your openvpn connection is not known by the mail server
you'll have to fix that or set up authentication.