Re: [Openvpn-users] IP Exceptions

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] IP Exceptions
  • From: Jan Just Keijser <janjust@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:40:51 +0100

Erich Titl wrote:
> ournixnation@xxxxxxxxx schrieb:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an OpenVPN server setup to redirect the gateway to the server.
>> Is it possible to add exceptions to the OpenVPN client config file so
>> that certain IP's can be accessed outside the OpenVPN connection? If
>> so, whats the format for adding it? I need to access email and some
>> other services over the proxied LAN at the client location and do not
>> want this traffic to be directed to the OpenVPN server.
>>

> Routing is outside OpenVPN's scope. If you need special routes then add,
> for example, host routes to your clients routing table. Typically
> packets will take the most significant route, e.g. host routing precedes
> subnet routing.

Normally I agree that far too many openvpn questions are actually
routing issues. In this case however it is also an openvpn config issue,
as special routes can/should be added when the VPN comes up. Try adding
  route <IP> 255.255.255.255 net_gateway
to the client config file to exclude a particular IP address from being
routed thru the openvpn tunnel. Similarly, for an entire subnet, try
  route <subnet>  <subnet-mask> net_gateway
e.g
  route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 net_gateway

HTH,

JJK