[Openvpn-users] Sporadic delay of web server reply after VPN conection

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Sporadic delay of web server reply after VPN conection
  • From: "Serge Wautier" <serge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:07:20 +0100

Env. : Server Debian/OpenVPN 2.0  Clients : Windows XPSP2/Vista – OpenVPN 2.0 – Apache 2.0

Hi All,

I’ve had an OpenVPN server working nicely for a few months. Clients use a small program of mine to connect to the VPN then connect their browser to the web server located on the same machine as the OpenVPN server.

It all works fine except that sometimes, the initial page loaded in the browser takes up to 30 seconds to appear (In most cases, it’s up in a couple of seconds). The problem seems to be always with the initial page. No problems afterwards.

I’ve been able to reject bandwidth problem both on server and clients by tracking bandwidth usage on both sides. The problem doesn’t last: You have it once then everything’s OK until next time.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?

I’ve never been able to capture the problem in tcpdump and it’s hard to leave it running all day long due to the size of the dump.

TIA for your help,